Saturday 8 September 2012

Thoughts from the corner seat.

 

I don’t want to give the impression that I tend to spend a lot of time whiling away the hours sat in the Merrie England coffee bar, but I did find myself sitting in my usual favourite corner seat on Tuesday, contemplating some of the other patrons as I did so.  It wasn’t planned at all to even pay a visit, but suddenly I was overcome by an urge to sample a piece of their delicious home cooked apple pie, an experience that I wish you could all try out. Oozing with apple and surrounded by melt in the mouth pastry, its to die for, and this Granny shouldn’t even eat it!  Knowing full well that in all probability, I’d be wracked with tummy ache afterwards, I decided to risk it and found myself standing at the counter ordering a piece of apple pie (without ice cream or cream though!) and a small latte coffee.

Peering down the room as I waited, I noted that my favourite corner spot was currently occupied by a lady known to me.  I made my way down the aisle towards her just as she was just about to leave.  We made polite conversation and I then took her place in the corner to enjoy my treat.  Glancing around from my vantage point, I couldn’t see anyone that I recognised.  As I sat there observing everyone, I noticed a lady trying to find somewhere to sit.  As most of the tables already had at least one occupant, she eventually ended up asking another lady who was sat at a table in the middle row if it was okay to sit at her table.  She sat down. They obviously did not know one another.  After a few minutes of sitting opposite each other in silence, they eventually began a polite conversation, such as the one that took place between myself and the man with a Kindle on my previous visit to Merrie England, when I ended up sitting at his table.

As I watched between these two ladies who had previously been strangers to one another, it did made me wonder how many people had become friends simply by sitting at the same table and striking up a conversation with each other.  It would be very interesting to be able to find out wouldn’t it?

Technogran

1 comment:

  1. Hi, gran...my, but it's been such a long, longgg time since I've caught up with you or anyone. The last I was around was when you were leaving blogging for a bit but said you'd be back. From reading back a bit here, I see why now. I am so sorry to hear that cancer struck you, but I am SO happy to see you blogging again and giving the good fight. Whew, not easy, I know, but what cancer would have the gall to think they could win over you? Foolish thought; you'd win every time :) I do want to tell you that I ADORE the white hair on you! It is scrumptious and you look fabulous, no kidding! We'll have to start calling you TechnoModel!
    In the post, you wondered about people sitting at the same table, unknown to each other, but maybe becoming friends, and you wondered the odds. Well, it's probably like it is in blogland, don't you think? Except odds would be even better face to face. There's just something about a connection by words or by proximity that ups the anty. I like it. What's that old saying: "A stranger is only a friend you haven't met yet." Something along those lines, but you get what I mean. And, gran...you've been a good friend to many over the years here :)
    (((Big old hug to you)))

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?